Other Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Customers

Even though I have a science degree, I am underqualified for any science jobs, and over qualified for any nice 9-5 receptionist/admin jobs. I'm starting my masters degree soon, so I'll be more qualified and therefore never have to deal with customers again. Until then, I am working at a cafe, and dealing with customers every day. Which has given me lots of blogging material.

I've come to realise that most customers never listen to me.


This actually happens with approximately 50% of customers, and it's really awkward. And when they do listen to me, sometimes they don't understand me because of my New Zealand accent, which can be just as awkward.








____________________________________________________________


Some customers have volume control issues

I'll be in the middle of making a coffee, and a customer will walk up. I say the usual polite

 but instead of waiting they'll just yell at me from across the store 


Or other people will speak really quietly







And they'll roll their eyes and me and sigh and make me feel like I'm the dumbest person in the world for not being able to understand their whisper language.

____________________________________________________________


Some customers confuse me









Obviously I don't say any of that to them. Instead, I try to narrow it down by asking simple questions like "black or white" "strong or weak" "foam or no foam".

Another thing that a few people have asked me is...






Once we figure it out it usually means that they want their coffee weak (ie. LESS COFFEE not more milk) or they want me to add cold milk to make it warm.

____________________________________________________________


Customers love to ask silly questions






____________________________________________________________


And some of them get mad at me for things I have no control over. About once a week I'll get the whole "WHAT? $4 FOR A COFFEE THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS THAT'S DAYLIGHT ROBBERY HOW CAN YOU CHARGE THAT MUCH" when $4 is a normal price for a cup of coffee and I DIDN'T DECIDE THE PRICES!

Other things that happen are:








Like, I feel bad for them, but I'm not gonna steal money from the till for them. Besides, if they don't want their money stolen, they can just buy stuff from me instead!

A few weeks ago this happened:








Remember when you go to get your daily latte, the staff are people too, so be nice to them!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you sister!

    What's even worse is when the customer complains about the price of coffee after having had a really loud conversation with his friends/family about his multiple investment properties...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Even though I have a science degree, I am underqualified for any science jobs, and over qualified for any nice 9-5 receptionist/admin jobs." This is the story of my life. I have the masters, and I am still in a weird place as I don't have the PhD that you really need to do well in my field. I tried for it, and then the recession hit and they cut funding to my program and I decided against putting an entire degree on a credit card.

    Sigh.

    Thank you for being the nice person who makes the coffees. Kindness matters, and your post is an excellent reminder of that!

    ReplyDelete